How to Cook dishes from Croatia
Croatia is a country of
several distinct regions, each with their own distinct cultural traditions, historical influences, and
thus, style of cuisine. It is for this reason that Croatian cuisine is known by many as the
"the cuisine of regions".
Some popular Croatian recipes include:
Croatia is also home
to some interesting desserts. These include:
- Brudet - A fish stew. It is usually served with polenta (boiled cornmeal).
- Cešnovka - Cešnovka is a spicy pork sausage with a garlic taste. It originates from
the Turopolje region of the country.
- Ðuvec - This is a dish made from stewed vegetables, and is somewhat similar to ratatouille.
- Gulaš - This is a spicy beef stew. The dish is reminiscent of
Hungarian cuisine's gulyás (goulash).
- Istrian stew (Croatian: Istarska jota) -
This is a stew made from spare ribs and baco, with
potatoes, beans and sauerkraut. It is flavored with garlic.
- Juha od Mahuna - Vegetable soup. It is made from grean beans with lentils, onions, carrots and peas.
- Kulen - A spicy pork sausage which originates from Slavonia.
- Pašticada - This dish is originally from Dalmatia,
and is sometimes known as "Dalmatinska pašticada". It is a dish made of stewed
beef, and is served with noodles or gnocchi (dumplings).
- Sarma - Sauerkraut rolls stuffed with ground pork and rice.
- Sataraš - Chopped roasted vegetables, including bell peppers.
- Slavonski Cobanac - A lamb stew, which was originally from Slavonia.
- Strukli - The Croatian version of ravioli.
It normally contains cheese or apple.
This dish is originally from
Croatia's capital city,
In northern parts of Croatia,
strukli are particularly eaten during the
and served with compotes
of dried fruits (such as pear, prunes, or apple).
- Zagrebacki odrezak - This dish is also originally from
It is made by stuffing thin slices of chicken or veal with ham and cheese, and then sautéeing.
- Cupavci - This is a biscuit-like cake. It is cut into squares,
which are covered with chocolate and dessicated coconut.
- Krafne - Krafne are a type of donut (although they do not containa hole). Most
krafne are filled, the usually fillings being jelly,
chocolate, cream or custard.
- Palacinke - Crêpes with sweet fillings.
- Rozata - Custard pudding similar to flan.
- Strudel (Croatian: Savijaca, Strudla) -
- The Croatian variant of strudel. Croatian strudels are usually filled with apple or cheese.
Please share your comments on this page:
Related pages on this web site:
Disclosure: Products details and descriptions provided by Amazon.com. Our company may receive a payment if you purchase products from them after following a link from this website.
|By Ino Kuvacic|
Released: May 9th, 2017
Hardcover (224 pages)
|Lowest New Price: $40.00*|
*(As of 05:58 Pacific 4 Mar 2021 More Info)
Dalmatia: Recipes from Croatia's Mediterranean Coast
- Manufacturer: Hardie Grant
- Brand: Hardie Grant
- ISBN: 1743792557
- EAN: 9781743792551
- PartNumber: YES32513746
- Number of Pages: 224
- Author: Ino Kuvacic
- Publication Date: May 9th, 2017
- Release Date: May 9th, 2017
Features:Click here for more information
- Size: 10.25 Inches by 8.5 Inches by 1.25 Inches
- Weight: 2.4030386558 Pounds