Soup Cookbooks and Recipes
Soups are dishes made by placing meat, eggs, vegetables or
ingredients in hot water or stock.
There are both clear (bouillon) and thick (consommé) soups,
the latter of which can be thickenened using a variety of
different agents, including
starch from vegetables in the soup, cream, butter, eggs, flour, or rice.
Some soup recipes from around the world include:
- Borscht - This is a stew made from
beets. Sometimes meat, cabbage and potatoes are also added.
There are many variants of the basic recipe found in the
cuisines of Eastern Europe.
- Clam chowder
- This is an American recipe
for a milk-based broth. It contains
clams, flour, onions, potato, and bacon or salt pork.
Tomatoes are an optional ingredient, used in the
New York recipe
("Manhattan clam chowder"), but not in the
New England recipe
(often known as "New England clam chowder" or
"Boston clam chowder").
- Cock-a-leekie soup - This is one of British cuisine's
best known recipes. The soup, which originates in Scotland, is
made from leeks and potato with chicken stock.
- Cream of Mushroom - A thick and and hearty mushroom-flavored soup.
- French onion soup - This is a famous French recipe
made from onions and beef broth, and topped with cheese and croutons.
According to legend the soup was invented by King Louis XV.
- Gazpacho - This is a famous Spanish recipe
for cold vegetable soup.
Traditionally gazpacho was made
stale bread, garlic, olive oil, salt and vinegar, but today, bell pepper and tomato are also
The soup is especially popular in hotter areas of
such as Andalusia.
- Guly´sleves - This is the original Hungarian recipe
for goulash. It is a meat soup,
traditionally made in a cauldron, based on
beef and onions, and flavored with paprika.
Various other ingredients such as
carrots, pasta squares, fresh peppers or tomatoes
are sometimes also added to the soup. Hot chilies are also sometimes
used, and garlic, herbs, or white wine are often used to enhance the flavor.
- Gumbo - A soup made from meat or shellfish stock, bell peppers, celery, onion and a thickener.
The soup often contains poultry or shellfish
Tasso (smoked pork shoulder) or
andouille (a sausage made from smoked pork, chitterlings, onions, and wine)
are sometimes also included in the soup, resulting in a
The soup originates in Cajun and Creole cuisine,
but today is widely served in the
Soul Food restaurants.
- Le Tourin - A French recipe for soup with a strong garlic flavor. Best served over thinly sliced bread.
- Miso soup - Soup which is made primarily from miso paste (fermented rice, barley or soy), and often containing tofu, green onions, seaweed, or even shrimp. Miso soup is served with many meals in Japan, including breakfast!
- Okroshka - This is a traditional
It is a cold soup made from kvass (bread drink),
and can also contain meat, fish or vegetables.
A combination of neutral tasting vegetables (such as
potatoes, turnips, rutabagas (yellow turnips), carrots or
cucumbers) and spicy vegetables (mainly green onion, plus
celery,chervil, dill, parsley or tarragon) are used in making
the soup. Spices such as black pepper, mustard or pickled
cucumber may also be added.
- Soljanka - This is a Russian recipe.
It is a thick spicy and sour soup. There are three main varieties of
this soup: fish, meat or mushroom. All the varieties
also contain pickled cucumbers,
and usually cabbage, cream, dill and salty mushrooms.
- Wonton soup - Wontons are dumplings. There are many different varieties found in different Chinese
cuisines. In the North American Chinese cuisine, wontons are often served in a clear broth.
- Yushka - This Ukrainian dish
is a soup made from freshwater fish such as carp.
Please share your comments on this page:
Related pages on this web site:
Disclosure: Products details and descriptions provided by Amazon.com. Our company may receive a payment if you purchase products from them after following a link from this website.
|By Jenn Bare|
Media Lab Books
Released: January 17th, 2017
Paperback (256 pages)
|List Price: $19.99*|
Lowest New Price: $16.76*
*(As of 14:12 Pacific 30 Mar 2020 More Info)
Get Crocked Soups & Stews
- Manufacturer: Media Lab Books
- Brand: Media Lab Books
- ISBNs: 1942556543, 9781942556541
- EAN: 9781942556541
- PartNumber: unknown
- Number of Pages: 256
- Author: Jenn Bare
- Publication Date: January 17th, 2017
- Release Date: January 17th, 2017
Features:Click here for more information
- Size: 8.8299036 Inches by 8.01 Inches by 0.7200773 Inches
- Weight: 1.65 Pounds
|By Campbell Soup Company|
Released: December 12th, 1988
Hardcover (224 pages)
|List Price: $9.99*|
Lowest Used Price: $5.08*
*(As of 14:12 Pacific 30 Mar 2020 More Info)
Campbell'S Creative Cooking with Soup
- Manufacturer: Crescent
- ISBN: 0517452502
- EAN: 9780517452509
Physical Description:Features:Click here for more information
- Edition: First Edition
- Number of Pages: 224
- Author: Campbell Soup Company
- Publication Date: December 12th, 1988
- Release Date: December 12th, 1988