How to Cook dishes from the Southwest
Prior to 1845, the Southwestern states of the
were part of Mexico's territory.
Even today, a delicious influence of Mexican cuisine
influence remains in Southwestern dishes.
Additionally you will also find recipes derived from
native American cuisine, cowboys, and
Spanish colonial settlers.
Southwestern cuisine tends to make use of meat, beans, and be flavored with spices, especially
chili peppers ("chiles").
Some popular Southwestern recipes and dishes include:
- Burrito - Burritos originated from
Mexican cuisine, are a
tortillas (unleavened bread made from maize or wheat flour) filled with meat, such as beef, chicken,
Other ingredients such as
salsa, sour cream, or tomatoes may sometimes be added.
- Chile relleno - This dish also derives from
Mexican cuisine. It is a chile pepper stuffed with cheese or meat, covered
with batter and fried.
- Chili con carne - Chili con carne is spicy stew made from meat and chili peppers.
Other ingredients such as beans, onions and tomatoes may be added in some recipes.
- Chimichanga - A deep-fried burrito stuffed with beans, cheese, rice, and meat.
- Fajita - Grilled meat (often beef skirt steak) served on
a tortilla (unleavened bread made from maize or wheat flour), often
with cooked onions and bell peppers, and sometimes cheese and tomato,
are added. Condiments usually include
salsa, or sour cream.
- Nachos - This is a snackfood made by covering tortilla chips
(crispy fried wedges made from corn tortillas), and covering them
melted cheese or other toppings such as jalapeño peppers, onions,
salsa, beef or chili con carne.
- Rattlesnake fillet - Meat from a rattlesnake. It is said to taste somewhat like chicken, but
be somewhat more chewy.
- Refried beans - Cooked, mashed black or pinto beans. The preparation involves soaking, stewing,
mashing, and finally frying (usually with lard).
- Sopaipilla - A puffy crisp fried bread. It may be stuffed with beans, cheese, chile peppers and meat.
- Tacos - A crispy corn tortilla stuffed with various ingredients such as ground beef, cheese,
lettuce, sour cream, and tomatoes.
- Taquitos - Small rolled-up tortillas with beef or chicken, and then fried.
Please share your comments on this page:
These web sites may also be of interest:
Related pages on this web site:
Disclosure: Products details and descriptions provided by Amazon.com. Our company may receive a payment if you purchase products from them after following a link from this website.
|By Dave Dewitt|
Periplus Editions (HK) ltd.
Released: September 15th, 2006
Hardcover (112 pages)
|List Price: $15.95*|
Lowest New Price: $14.83*
*(As of 02:59 Pacific 31 May 2020 More Info)
Authentic Recipes from Santa Fe (Authentic Recipes Series)
- Manufacturer: Periplus Editions
- Brand: Periplus Editions (HK) ltd.
- ISBN: 0794602894
- UPC: 676251602890
- EANs: 0676251602890, 9780794602895
- PartNumber: illustrations
- Edition: Hardcover with Jacket
- Number of Pages: 112
- Authors: Dave Dewitt, Nancy Gerlach
- Publication Date: September 15th, 2006
- Release Date: September 15th, 2006
- Size: 11.0 Inches by 8.5 Inches by 0.6 Inches
- Weight: 1.6 Pounds
Click here for more information
- Used Book in Good Condition