How to Cook dishes from Malta
Today, the Maltese people enjoy a varied
particularly influenced by Italian cuisine.
has many historic links with other countries, and many other influences can
be seen in Maltese cuisine, for example, Moorish influences.
Some popular Maltese recipes and dishes include:
Some Maltese desserts and sweets include:
- Aljotta - A fish soup containing garlic, herbs and tomatoes that is often served with rice.
- Bigilla - A traditional bean dip made from mashed dried broad beans with seasonings and optionally
- Bragjoli - A thin slice of beef surrounding a mixture of breadcrumbs, bacon, eggs and cheese.
- Brodu - A broth containing meat (beef or chicken usually) and vegetables, and served with pasta.
- Fenkata - Rabbit served in tomato sauce or
gravy. The meat is usually lightly fried and then simmered
as a casserole for several hours.
- Imqaret - A deep-fried pastry filled with dates.
- Kapunata - The Maltese version of ratatouille. Served hot or cold, and even used as a
- Kusksu - A thick soup made from chicken stock, and containing broad beans, pasta beads (known as "kusksu"),
onions, tomato paste and garlic.
- Laham taz-ziemel - Stallion meat with white wine sauce.
- Lampuka - Mahi-mahi, a white fish. It can be eaten pan-fried with olive oil, oven-baked with a tomato
and wine sauce, or made into fish pies.
- Minestra - A thick vegetable soup, particularly popular in Winter, and usually eaten with crusty
Maltese bread known as "hobza".
- Mqarrun il-Forn - Baked macaroni with bolognese sauce and egg. Bacon and peas are added in some
versions of the recipe, and the dish is usually topped with a layer of grated cheese or
bescamella (white sauce).
- Pastizzi - Pastry stuffed with ricotta or a mushy pea mixture.
- Ravjul - The Maltese version of ravioli, filled with ricotta and parsley (and sometimes spinach),
or with minced meat. The dish is covered with a tomato sauce and topped with cheese.
- Ross il-Forn - Baked rice. This dish is similar to Mqarrun il-Forn, but with rice instead of macaroni (water is added before cooking),
and the addition of curry.
- Qargha Baghli - Stuffed marrows with
ground beef and parsley. They can be baked or made into a creamy soup.
- Soppa ta' l-armla - Literally translated, "soppa ta' l-armla" means "widow's soup",
the dish supposedly having gots its name because neighbors donated it poor widows living in their communities.
Soppa ta' l-armla is a thinner version of minestra (vegetable soup), but with the addition of
fresh gbejniet (small, round cheeses, made from sheep's milk) which melt in the soup, and raw eggs
added at the end to coagulate the soup.
- Timpana - A pastry covered version of Mqarrun il-Forn (baked macaroni). A small amount of ground (minced)
beef, and sometimes hard-boiled eggs, are added, then then the whole thing is encased in a pastry crust.
- Zalzett tal-Malti - A traditional Maltese sausage made from pork and flavored with
black peppercorns, coriander seeds, parsley, sea salt, and sometimes garlic. There are
varieties which are dried and others that are eaten fresh.
- Figolla - An icing-coated biscuit stuffed with sweet ground almonds. It is traditionally
eaten at Easter, and made into shapes such as a fish, a lamb, a heart, etc.
- Helwa tat-Tork - "Turk's sweet" - The Maltese version of Halva.
- Kwarezimal - Biscuits, traditionally eaten during Lent.
- Pudina ta' l-Hobz - Bread pudding. Pudina ta' l-Hobz is made from stale bread, soaked in
water over night,
and milk, cocoa, sugar, dried fruit, nuts, and sometimes liqueurs, are then added.
- Qaghaq ta' l-Ghasel - A light pastry ring made with honey or treacle. Originally eaten
at Christmas, but now popular
all yexar round.
Please share your comments on this page:
Related pages on this web site:
Disclosure: Products details and descriptions provided by Amazon.com. Our company may receive a payment if you purchase products from them after following a link from this website.
|By Leon Cutajar|
Kindle Edition (31 pages)
Maltese Cooking Made Easy
Cooking is very important to the Maltese way of life and meals with the family are a tradition that has endured with the passage of time.
Maltese cooking has evolved over millenia and as it's been passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth and each family has their own variation of the recipes contained in this book.
In this book you will find ten traditional Maltese recipes which are simple to make, using ingredients readily available in most parts of the world.
"When I first saw this book I was intrigued. I had never heard of Maltese cooking, let alone seen a recipe book. Malta is a small island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, right between Sicily and Africa. Maltese cuisine is heavily influenced by a variety of Mediterranean cultures.
The recipes are all traditional Maltese recipes that have been handed down from family to family. There is a nice selection and variety of different kinds of meat, soup and dessert recipes. My favorite was the bread pudding (don't ask me to reproduce the name!) and the appetizer bean dip which is inspired.
This recipe book is a very nice introduction to Maltese cooking!"...................Rock Me
"Honestly i have no enough ideas about Maltese foods and some Maltese Mediterranean diet but this book help me to know everything i need to know. It introduces Maltese cuisine in such a simple way that it looks more universally appealing but the original tradition of Maltese cooking is still there. It is very helpful to all of us to know all the recipes and how to prepare it on every meal. This book is very well written and easy to read. Great book!".......................Mark Twain
"I LOVE Malta and the cuisine. I have visited the island nation several times and have always wanted to know more about the traditional recipes. The book could use a bit of editing, but is charmingly written in the vernacular, covering many regularly prepared authentic dishes handed down thru the generations using local ingredients"...............................T
Get your copy today!
Tags: Greek, Italian, Middle East, Low Carb, Baking, Healthy, Terrier, Cook e-book
|By Shane Delia|
Interlink Pub Group
Hardcover (272 pages)
|List Price: $35.00*|
Lowest New Price: $22.57*
Lowest Used Price: $19.00*
Usually ships in 24 hours*
*(As of 03:50 Pacific 18 Jan 2019 More Info)
Follow award-winning chef Shane Delia as he visits souks and local kitchens in six countries. From Morocco, Malta, and Andalusia in the West, to Turkey, Lebanon, and Iran in the East, the food and flavors of the Middle East permeate almost every aspect of daily life. Orange blossom and rose petals, spice-encrusted slow-cooked meats, fermented yogurts, dates, and olivesthese are the flavors that have entranced visitors for centuries and that have recently experienced a surge in popularity in Western kitchens. Award-winning Maltese-Australian chef Shane Delia journeys to both the well-trodden souks and private dining rooms of locals across six countries, in search of the most exciting local flavors to bring back to his kitchen. East West offers 80 recipes, distilled for the home cook. Accompanied by hundreds of stunning images shot on location, this is a book for foodies and anyone who has ever dreamed of taking their own culinary journey.
|By Kelly Malta|
Kindle Edition (116 pages)
Life With Hypothyroidism Vol III
Finally, a Natural Life Changing Way to Get Your Life Back By Stopping Your Hypothyroidism Dead in it's Tracks!
WARNING! This is Not a Magic Pill -- It's A Journey to a New YOU!
I Will Show You Incredibly Simple Steps to Eliminating Low Energy Levels, Massive Weight Gain, Anxiety Attacks & Sleepless Nights to Banish Hypothyroidism Forever!
My friend, in our first volume of this series we discussed the basics to getting your Hypothyroidism under control. In the second volume we discussed more advanced topics concerning getting your hormones under control. Now in our third and final volume you'll be armed with several diet plans and delicious recipes to choose from.
Please feel free to preview all three Life With Hypothyroidism volumes for a complete no-holds barred discussion on regaining your life back from the ravaging effects of hypothyroidism.
Kelly Malta's Three Volumes of Life With Hypothyroidism Series are all Available
Life With Hypothyroidism "The Truth to Beating Hypothyroidism Naturally! How I Got My Hypothyroidism Safely Under Control Within 60 Days!"
Your Hypothyroidism Got You Down? "Simple Concepts in Balancing Your Hormones to Regain Your Energy & Your Life Back From Hypothyroidism! Includes BONUS Advanced Symptoms Checklist!"
Hypothyroidism Diet Secrets Revealed "Simple Plans For All Occasions With 50 Healthy & Delicious Recipes!"
I know you have a choice in which source of information will give you the best advice for your money and I know how hard it is to battle Hypothyroidism on a day-to-day basis. I promise the information you receive in all three of these volumes will be life changing if you apply the techniques. I've been and I still am in your shoes but my life is now more manageable and I have regained my energy levels, enhanced my libido, lost most of my weight and I have gained a new lease on life. What you are about to get in your hands will provide you the tools to understand Hypothyroidism and take control of your life.
Let's work on the new you and take this journey together.
|By Anne & Helen Carvana Galizia|
|By Claudia Caruana|
Brand: Hippocrene Books
Hardcover (306 pages)
|List Price: $24.95*|
Lowest New Price: $83.45*
Lowest Used Price: $32.84*
*(As of 03:50 Pacific 18 Jan 2019 More Info)
Describes traditional techniques and ingredients for Maltese cooking, and includes such recipes as lima bean and chick pea salad, stuffed eggplant, octopus stew, rabbit pie, and bread pudding